Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Rand says put tolls on the Brent Spence Bridge

The Enquirer has the story:

"When I was up in Washington, D.C. several weeks ago, Sen. Rand Paul mentioned selling the bridge, privatizing the bridge," said Boone Judge-executive Gary Moore. "Then I heard when the Northern Kentucky Chamber visited a couple weeks after me, that he told them the same thing."

...When Kenton County Judge-executive Steve Arlinghaus spoke with Paul, "He did suggest the possibility of privatization as one possible answer, which I found an interesting concept, but you know if you privatize you'll be paying tolls forever," Arlinghaus said. "If you give complete ownership of the bridge to somebody, there's going to be tolls for a lifetime, and I don't know if that's in the best interest of the general public."

Paul's office did not return a call seeking comment Monday.